What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress

Golden Healer, Dark Enchantress
Christine Schulze / Fantasy Romance

He leaned his head close to my ear and whispered, "Are you afraid?"

Chrystine had had more reason than any other time of her life, even when facing one of the rampages of her drunken father. But she wasn't afraid. And that was odd, because although Aaryn, the person asking her that question, was her best friend, he was also a vampire. In fact she was surrounded by hundreds of vampires. But they weren't your typical vampires. They were Stregoni Benefici, the good kind. Nor was Chrystine your typical fairy. She was the Golden Healer, and she alone could save the Stregoni Benefici from the Dark Enchantress. But can Chrystine figure out the Dark Enchantress' sceret and defeat the evil vampires without destroying the good ones as well, without destroying Aaryn? Find out as you read for yourself the story of the first vampire.
(click title for more)
How I FELT:

I was excited to read this e-book, my love of all things vampire telling me this had the potential to be a really interesting read. Now, moments after reading it, I find myself looking at the story in two different ways - how it appealed to my mind but most, importantly, how it appealed to my heart. From my mind's perspective, this book made me pause every now and then because of some of the words the author used. I would be reading along, caught up in the story and I would hit a word or sentence and wonder why it was there or why the author had chosen it. Some of the words made me giggle with the images they created, and some of them simply made me groan a little. This might not be a problem for anyone else, it being a personal reaction and so I would take it with a grain of salt. Other than this though, it was the only thing I stumbled across and frees up the rest of my review to share what my heart thought of it - I REALLY liked it. If you've read any of my other reviews, a common theme is that I review mainly on how the book made me feel. I'm an emotional reader and for me to like something, it needs to put me into the story and have me become a part of it. I want to gasp when the character gasps and laugh when the characters laugh. Wording aside, this is what the story did for me. I can't begin to tell you how many times I found myself leaning forward, my heart racing because I wanted to know what happened next. Or how many times I found myself caught up in what Chrystine was feeling and when Aaryn leant into her and whispered in her ear, I swear I felt his breathe on my own ear and shivered. There was one sentence where the image was so strong, so believable that it had me ranting to my BFF and it completely sealed the deal for me. And don't even get me started on the scenes where the author had Chrystine meet with the "bad" vampires. I loved the way the evil just dripped off them and how they made my skin crawl. Ask anyone who knows me, I LOVE LOVE LOVE reading about close encounters with evil and I found them in this book. I loved the storyline and the different characters that played a part in it. I loved watching Chrystine with Aaryn and the way their relationship developed, seeing the great care they took with each other. The image of Chrystine standing in the great dome, looking on in awe as she watches the guy she loves go from teenager to beloved leader or when she shares with Aaryn that despite all that has happened, she chooses him, causing his resistance to crumble, THESE are the images I'll remember whenever I think of this story. Again, I really enjoyed this book and feel that it's definitely a book worth reading. It made me feel and became more than just words on a page and as a reader, that's the most important thing.
Ratings : 4 stars

No comments: