What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blood Of The White Witch

Blood Of The White Witch

Lacey Weatherford / YA Paranormal
Review done at the author's request

When love came knocking on the door of novice witch, Portia Mullins, in the form of handsome bad boy, Vance Mangum, she had no idea how quickly the attraction between them would escalate. Now she finds her relationship with Vance taken to a whole new level, in a way she had never dreamed possible at this point and time of her life. Yet even as the personal connection between them explodes, the two quickly find themselves in a world of shifting balances. While searching for Vance’s missing mother, they realize they are suddenly unsure of who to trust, learning that sometimes things are not always as they appear. When Vance’s demon characteristics abruptly begin to resurface again without warning, the horrible truth comes out, crashing down upon them and shattering some of their most precious dreams. Once the deadly plan is uncovered, Portia and Vance find themselves hastily rushing against the hands of time in an attempt to stop an ancient ritual from being performed. But will they be successful before fate reaches out to twist them cruelly, possibly separating them and changing magic forever? Passion, loyalties, powers, and family ties, will all be tested when dangerous adventures abound in this third installment in the Of Witches and Warlocks series, Blood of the White Witch. (official blurb)

(click on the title to read my review)


Reading this book was an incredible experience for me. I’d read the first two books The Trouble With Spells and The Demon Kiss and absolutely adored them. By the time I began reading Blood Of The White Witch I was already head over heels for the resident bad boy, Vance Mangum and was absolutely SOLD on the series. In my naivete I felt that the books couldn’t possibly get any better because in my mind it was already perfect. I was undeniably WRONG. This book is hands down the best I’ve read of all three.

Being the emotional reader that I am, my hope is always that a book causes me to feel something, anything whether it’s the rush of excitement that comes when a twist reveals itself in the story or the dip in the stomach when the lead guy moves in and claims the girl he loves. I knew that reading this book would be an emotional one but nothing prepared me for how intense it would be or how incredible the pull would be as it completely SUCKED me into the story. I’ve said before in my reviews of the first two books how they had reached in and held my heart hostage … well those books pale in comparison to the way this book moved me. There were so many twists to the story, so many possibilities. At any given time I was experiencing complete happiness and giddiness for Portia and Vance, shock and horror at some of the situations they found themselves in and complete devastation when the love they had for each other was once again tested almost to its breaking point. All I can do now is sit back and sigh, totally satisfied from being entertained so completely

I loved the way Vance and Portia move together, the way they naturally gravitate towards each other. The more you read through the series, the more you realize how perfect they are for each other and it’s really difficult to not think of one without thinking of the other. They are both fiercely protective of each other which is a direct result of the challenges they’ve faced. They have been through so much and the beginning of the book starts off with a celebration that reminds you have wonderful it is to be in love and I LOVED watching how they were with each other. I loved the message that regardless of whether the sky is falling and the world is on the verge of destruction, there is always time for passion, for tenderness, for devotion. They're definitely one of my top book couples.

Portia is really growing into the role of an amazing lead female. She shows a great strength in character now that she is more confident in her magical abilities and her relationship with Vance. She knows what she wants and what she needs to do to get it. She has complete faith in her love for Vance and does everything she can to protect him. She truly is Vance’s equal in this book and it was AMAZING to watch. You need to know that my heart went out to her in this book because I knew that inevitably there’s only so much a person can take and only so much they can give before they break. Her limits were constantly being challenged and I appreciated the emotions I felt through her as I was able to get a much better look at the world through her eyes.

Vance Mangum. That really does say it all right? Just the sound of his name should give you an indication of what kind of character he is but if not let me share it with you. He is by far the best bad boy I’ve found in all of the YA genre. I know that may hurt Dimitri’s feelings (resident bad boy from the Vampire Academy series) but I have to call it as I see it. You can’t not read Vance and not have your knees weaken even just a little. I love the passion he feels for Portia and his total lack of fear in letting the entire world know how much he adores her. He leaves her with no doubt whatsoever that he is hers and that he would go to the end of the world for her. There were so many scenes in this book that had me totally in love with him and I have to say, as the lover of the evil bad boy – Vance has ALL the potential of driving me completely over the edge into bad boy Heaven. He fights his demon tendencies but still he struggles. The moment his eyes flash that sexy red, I’m swooning and I am DESPERATE to know what happens with him in the next book. There were so many Vance moments I loved in the book but the two that I can safely share without ruining anything is one from the opening chapters where Vance can’t take it one moment longer and pulls Portia into an empty room and RAVISHES her up against the wall. Oh yeah incredibly HOT. The other is when they are staying in Scotland and Vance finds himself with a very traditional piece of clothing. Let me whet your appetite a little and say Vance as a Highlander is an unbelievably SEXY image to have. I dare anyone to read the series, especially this book and NOT fall hopelessly in love with him.

When you read this book prepare yourself for the roller coaster. This is Lacey Weatherford at her finest and I’m chomping at the bit to see what she has in store for Portia and Vance. It couldn’t possibly get any better could it? If reading this book is anyway to guess, I think book 4 is going to blow me over and seal my fate as one of the greatest fan of the Of Witches & Warlock series. It’s a definite drop everything your doing, sell a kidney if you have to, it’s that important that you read it book. Enjoy !

Ratings: 5 stars and a SIMMERING BOIL (kinda deliciously in between)

1 comment:

SusanKMann said...

Fantastic review for a great series and amazing book. You have it down to a T. Love it xx