What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bloodfever by Karen M. Moning

Bloodfever
Karen M. Moning / Urban Fantasy
Book Two in the Fever series
Delacorte Press / Ocotber 2007

I used to think my sister and I were just two nice southern girls who'd get married in a few years and settle down to a quiet life. Then I discovered that Alina and I descend, not from good wholesome southern stock, but from an ancient Celtic bloodline of powerful sidhe-seers, people who can see the Fae. Not only can I see the terrifying otherworldly race, but I can sense the sacred Fae relics that hold the deadliest of their magic. When my sister was found dead in a trash-filled alley in Dublin, I came over to get answers. Now all I want is revenge. And after everything I've learned about myself, I know I have the power to get it....

MacKayla Lane's ordinary life underwent a complete makeover when she landed on Ireland's shores and was plunged into a world of deadly sorcery and ancient secrets. In her fight to stay alive, Mac must find the Sinsar Dubh-a million-year-old book of the blackest magic imaginable, which holds the key to power over both the worlds of the Fae and of Man. Pursued by Fae assassins, surrounded by mysterious figures she knows she cannot trust, Mac finds herself torn between two deadly and irresistible men: V'lane, the insatiable Fae who can turn sensual arousal into an obsession for any woman, and the ever-inscrutable Jericho Barrons, a man as alluring as he is mysterious. For centuries the shadowy realm of the Fae has coexisted with that of humans. Now the walls between the two are coming down, and Mac is the only thing that stands between them....


Never has a book been more appropriately titled than Karen M. Moning’s BLOODFEVER because the slow burn that began in Darkfever with its heart pumping action and sexual tension was intensified until it had my blood boiling in a fevered pitch that drove me to the point of insanity. Losing none of the passion and intrigue from the first book, BLOODFEVER pushed the story of Mac with her quest for answers and vengeance beyond anything I could hope for and left me panting … no dying for more.

BLOODFEVER finds Mac in Dublin and still in the company of the infuriatingly mysterious Jericho Barrons. Still unsure of who he is and not receiving answers, the only thing she knows is that her need to avenge her sister’s death is as strong as ever - "The dark fever I'd caught that first night I'd set foot in Dublin had turned into a fever of a different kind: a bloodfever--as in I wanted blood, spilled for my sister" Her search for the Sinsar Dubh continues and teaming together with Barrons, they look all over Dublin for the elusive book only to find they have a major problem – contact with the book renders Mac unconscious. Add to this: another object of power resurfaces (one that amplifies a person’s will), an unexpected visit from her father adamant she return home with him, a summons from Rowena (the head mistress of the sidhe seers who had left Mac at the mercy of V’lanes erotic potency) and Mac has her hands so full that dealing with Barrons and V’lane’s demands and manipulations is enough to drive her crazy. Did I mention the spooky specter that seems to stalk Mac’s every step or the Shade that doesn’t act very shade-like? The story is fast paced and filled with twists and turns leading you to heart stopping scenes between Mac and Barrons that will literally having you sighing from the intensity shown. In true KMM style, the book drives you into a frenzy, giving you scene after scene of amazing details and emotions, offering clues and foreshadowing before bringing you to a grinding halt with a cliffhanger that leaves you reaching for the next book. Its little wonder this series is so addicting!

Mac was a constant source of entertainment through the book and I loved watching her continue to grow and change. The carefree girl whose only worry in the world was whether her favorite nail polish was going to be discontinued had definitely grown up and finding herself facing truths and danger, continued to handle herself with spunk. There’s a lot of strength in Mac, a lot of potential and I can’t wait to see exactly who she is when she fully discovers the truth. She continues to share great insight about what’s happening around her and I loved watching her think. Hands down what made me laugh the most was Mac’s resilience to acknowledge her growing attraction to Barrons. I wanted to scream “It’s okay to lust after the man. My gosh he’s hot, we can do it together!” but she would blame it on ovulating and at one point, on bad food. There is definitely something there between them and I can’t wait to see her fully give into it. The “Barbie doll” she thought she was in book one is being replaced by a tougher, much stronger “savage” Mac, one forged through some pretty Hellish situations.

My gosh Barrons. This man is in a league of his own and continued to excite me through the book. I kept reminding myself that he wouldn’t like it, that if he ever knew the romantic fancies I have as I looked at him, I’d be in for a very stern lecture (not to mention it’d be arousing because an authoritative, forceful Barrons is a “I want to have my wicked way with you” Barrons) We know he’s not the kind of man to depend on, one that will act how we want him to but honestly, I LOVED the brief glimpses of vulnerability I saw, those moments where I swear if he didn’t continue to throw up walls between him and Mac, he was incredibly tender. I loved watching him go from calling her “Ms Lane” to “Mac” and the frantic feeling that oozed off him when he held her in his arms, feeling helpless or when she disappeared into Faery and he couldn’t reach her. More than ever I want to know why he feels the need for distance and formality with her and why he doesn’t just admit that he feels something. I want to scream “For goodness sake, just reach out and take it”. Not knowing what he is continued to drive me crazy, especially when it seems like everyone and everything is afraid of him which tells me it can’t be good when the resident evil takes one look and walks away *places hand over heart* Barrons renders me breathless and slightly … okay extremely overheated!

BLOODFEVER was an exhilarating read that kept me hooked to the very end and definitely a book that deserves to be savored. With characters that continue to grab your attention and a storyline that never fades or dulls, you’d be absolutely crazy not to read it. Make sure you start with Darkfever before you start this book and see how long it takes before you’re hopelessly addicted. One of the best urban fantasy series I’ve read – start now and catch the Fever. Happy reading!!


Rating:


No comments: