What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Jekel Loves Hyde
Beth Fantaskey
YA Paranormal Romance

Jill Jekel has always obeyed her parents rules; especially the one about never opening the mysterious, old box in her father's office. But when her dad is murdered, and her college savings disappear, she's tempted to peek inside, as the contents might be the key to a lucrative chemistry scholarship.

To improve her odds, Jill enlists the help of gorgeous, brooding Tristen Hyde, who has his own dark secrets locked away. As the team of Jekel and Hyde, they recreate experiments based on the classic novel, hoping not only to win a prize, but to save Tristen's sanity. Maybe his life. But Jill's accidental taste of a formula unleashes her darkest nature and compels her to risk everything, even Tristen's love just for the thrill of being . . . bad.



Ever since reading the authors other YA title Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Darkside, I've wanted to read this. I LOVED the other books - devoured it - so when I had a chance to get this on sale at a book store, I jumped at it.. While it's very different from what I expected, and a lot lighter on the romance than what I wanted, it was still an entertaining book and one I enjoyed.

It took the story of Jekel and Hyde, and gave it a good twist. Two teenagers are brought together by family legacies, both needing the other to help them get what they need. Jill is recovering from the loss of her father and when she finds out there's no money to go to college, she decides to enter a chemistry contest where as scholarship is offered to the winner. She finally convinced Tristen to help her, making a bargain to reenact secret experiments performed by her father, and the implications are enormous. There's a beast that lives within Tristen - a bloodthirsty monster, and driven by the fear of a nightmare becoming reality, he pins all his hopes on the success of their findings. All while falling for Jill. It's a great way to add a different spin on an old story, and I loved it.

I enjoyed the characters although, as a romance junkie, I wish there was more emphasis on the romance. There was a point where I wondered whether I wanted to keep reading because the story did center more around who they were are the Jekel and Hyde team, but it was intriguing enough for me to put my romance needs aside. Tristen was a great character - broody and dangerous, all the right elements to make a good bad boy, I just wished he kissed Jill more! There was enough "angst" to keep the story moving forward and having me wanting to see what happened to them both, and I felt for them. They were handed down incredible legacies which connected them, and it was a fun experience to watch how they handled everything.

All in all, it was a great book. I read it all in one night and the intrigue had me turning the pages as I approached the end. If you're wanting something that's heavy on the romance, this doesn't have it but  it is a worth the time. A great addition to your personal library. Happy reading!!


Rating:


No comments: