What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Magic Bleeds

Magic Bleeds

Ilona Andrews / Urban Fantasy

Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren't for the magic. When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it rose. Kate Daniels works for the Order of the Knights of Merciful Aid, officially as a liaison with the mercenary guild. Unofficially, she cleans up the paranormal problems no one else wants to handle--especially if they involve Atlanta's shapeshifting community. When she's called in to investigate a fight at the Steel Horse, a bar midway between the territories of the shapeshifters and the necromancers, Kate quickly discovers there's a new player in town. One who's been around for thousands of years--and rode to war at the side of Kate's father. This foe may be too much even for Kate and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, to handle. Because this time, Kate will be taking on family...

I've followed this series from the beginning and have been in love with the characters ever since. Kate is my favorite kind of heroine - she's not afraid to get into the thick of things, feels passionately about life and kicks some serious butt. She's not the woman that sits back while everyone else rushes in. No, Kate is the one that leads the group, often going where other people are too scared to. I love all the different parts of her story but of course, because I'm a sucker for love, I especially love this series because of her interactions with Curran, the Beast Lord, leader of some 1500 shapeshifters. They are so combative with each other as he flirts with her and she fights him (and her heart) every step of the way. It's not uncommon for him to put on the moves and her turn around and proceed to kick his butt. But in this book, the chemistry between them EXPLODES. I mean this should be called the Kate and Curran book because this is where they finally decide just what they mean to each other and whether officially beginning a relationship is worth the risks. Curran is SPECTACULAR in this book. Kate was SPECTACULAR in this book and together they were COMBUSTIBLE. I couldn't get enough of this book, each page, each word had me desperate for the next and I can't stress enough how HEART MELTING this book was. Just thinking about how much I enjoyed it makes my heart stutter. I read that the author shared this book was difficult to write but I'm telling you she did an amazing job writing this story. She added an emotional level to the series that hadn't been there before and it was inspiring. PLEASE read this book. Start at the beginning (Magic Bites, Magic Burns, Magic Strikes) and get caught up in the story. It is SO worth the time.

Ratings: 5 stars and 3.5 hearts

No comments: