What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Monday, October 18, 2010

The Devil's Kiss by Stacey Kennedy

The Devil's Kiss
Stacey Kennedy / Paranormal Romance
Book 3 of The Magical Sword series

Review written for The Romance Reviews

Nexi Jones can never catch a break. With only just returning from a much needed vacation--a deadly Werewolf attack takes place in Plymouth, Minnesota. In pursuit for answers, Nexi finds herself face-to-face with someone she desperately wanted to avoid, Magnus, the Lord of the Underworld. He hasn’t forgotten her and will stop at nothing to use her magical abilities for his personal gain. Soon, Nexi will be in a battle far worse than conjuring Magic against those of the Underworld. The fiercest battle rages within her as her soul combats against her heart to decide Nexi’s fate. Will all that matters--will everyone she loves--be lost forever? (click on title)



The Devil's Kiss is my favorite of the series so far. It packed such an emotional punch for me that it had me buzzing long after I'd finished reading it. For me there's more to romance than just a few hot and steamy sex scenes with a bit of dialogue thrown in between. Romance is about chemistry and the emotional connection between two people who would move heaven and earth for each other. It's about passion and fire as well as tenderness and consideration. This book had all those things and more and is a prime example of why I only read romance – it stole my heart.

Nexi and Kyden have been through so much in their short relationship and although it grew stronger through The Willow and The Wicked, it's in this book that it is truly tested and OMG what a test it is!! I still loved the chemistry between these two and the way they sizzled whenever they were near each other but what I really loved the most though was how, in my mind, the author took a step away from the intense physical aspect of their relationship and instead focused a lot on the intimate, soul searing connection they had. My heart broke for this couple (how's that for a teaser) and the emotions being stirred literally flowed from the pages. This book really did cement for me what a powerhouse couple Nexi and Kyden are and I'm on the edge of my seat to see what happens next.

To me, Nexi just keeps getting better and better. She's becoming more secure in what she can expect from herself and the author has set her up to be a really strong female role. Nexi continues to be this incredibly sassy character for me but in this book, I truly fell in love with her heart as she reached out and cared for those around her. She was painfully confronted with a truth that threatened to destroy everything she held dear and watching it unfold broke my heart. Thankfully, Nexi wouldn't be Nexi if she didn't have something up her sleeve and I loved every second I had reading about her.

Kyden made my heart bleed in this story. He was still in all his alpha perfection glory – undeniably sexy, intensely passionate, infuriatingly over protective at times but like Nexi, he showed incredible heart in this book. He was honestly pushed to his limits and so many times I wanted to reach into the book and soothe him. I spent the last two books experiencing the amazing sensuality and drive of Kyden but with The Devil's Kiss, I also experienced his frustration, his pain and his absolute determination when he found himself facing a situation everyone else would have thought hopeless. He was the very definition of going all out for the one you love, and to this day, I still have a hard time describing the emotions I felt through him. Kyden has honestly become one of my favorite alpha male characters and will always elicit a number of deep sighs when I think about him.

If you haven't picked up on it yet, I had a strong emotional reaction to this book which automatically makes it a keeper for me. When trying to find new books to read, I look for those that will give me experiences where the story stops being words on a page and for those brief moments becomes real. For me, this book was one of them and I can't gush enough about it. The author, Stacey Kennedy, truly does have the magic touch when it comes to writing a great romance and I'll be one of the first in line to buy not only the next book in this series but any other book she publishes. A definite must read!
 
 
  Rating:

 

No comments: