What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Wicked by Stacey Kennedy

The Wicked
Stacey Kennedy / Urban Fantasy
Book Two in The Magical Sword Series

Review written for The Romance Reviews

Nexi Jones knows two things--being half Guardian is tough--being half Witch is simply problematic. With her Guardian duties put on hold, she begins the grueling task of discovering her magical abilities, which tend to be unpredictable, at the best of times. At least, she has her luscious Guardian, Kyden to keep her grounded. That is, until the military-built, Ryker returns with a keen interest in being a constant thorn in her backside. With enough trouble controlling her powers--the added rivalry between the two tough Guardians leaves Nexi in urgent demand of a fire extinguisher.
But when tragedy strikes the very core of the Otherworld, Nexi needs to shape up as she lands herself knee deep into vampire society--a world run by vampire Mistresses who offer their assistance in unearthing a deadly plot of revenge. But as the truth begins to unravel, Nexi begins to discover that the Otherworld isn’t the only place where Supernaturals exist--and there is something far darker than thirsty vampires lurking within the shadows… (clikc on title for more)



This book should seriously come with a warning label. The Wicked brings you back into the lives of Nexi and Kyden with such heat and sizzle that it's guaranteed to leave scorch marks on your fingers. As the second book in The Magical Sword series, I had high expectations that it would be just as entertaining as The Willow and boy did this book deliver. Right from the opening sentence, I got a glimpse of the raw energy I was craving and it immediately sucked me into a fast-paced story that had me entranced until the very end.

The only word I could use to describe the relationship between Nexi and Kyden is explosive. There is so much passion and fire between them that I found myself catching my breath because I found it so intense. Throughout the book, Nexi worked on gaining control of her new powers and I could see just how hard it was for Kyden to stand by watching without giving into his need to protect at all costs. It was important for Nexi to have some form of independence and to be part of what was happening with those she was growing to love and I loved watching how they compromised with each other. There were some great scenes throughout the book that showed the different levels of connection they had, that it wasn't just purely physical with them and that there was depth. I could honestly sit for hours on end reading about them.

I loved Nexi in The Wicked. I was always amazed at how well she handled the new changes in her life and how she kind of went with the flow. She finds out that she holds a lot of power in this book and I laughed so hard at some of the situations she found herself in. By far my favorite was when the telepathic connection she has with Zia, a fellow witch in the Council, brings her into a very INTIMATE situation happening between Zia and Talon (Kyden's father) that left her traumatized and groaning. Nexi had to make some tough decisions in this book and I really enjoyed getting to know her more.

I can't even begin to describe how much I CRAVED Kyden in this book without having to stop first to fan myself off. I thought he was incredible in The Willow but in this book, he took being a sexy alpha male to a whole new level. There was just so much power with him that was focused on Nexi and I loved watching the intensity of his feelings for her. He went from laid back flirting to downright smoldering and I especially loved watching how he interacted with those around him and Nexi. She definitely gives him a run for his money and it was interesting to see how he had to reign himself in at times so he didn't smother her with his protective nature. Of course, I need to warn you – Kyden in this book is MAGNIFICENT and you won't be able to look at a wall, a couch or a shower the same without blushing. *sighs and reaches for something to fan herself with*

What made this such a great read for me was that alongside the fabulous couple, The Wicked had an amazing storyline. As well as trying to gain a handle on her emerging witch powers and trying to understand where those powers fit in with her Guardian responsibilities, Nexi also had to deal with the death of someone else she loved and the effect it had on the Otherworld. Trying to find out the truth introduced her to new allies, had her fighting against a threatening group of witches and finally brought her into contact with Magnus, the sexy sexy King of the Underworld. Each page was filled with action, passion and incredible amount of humor. This is definitely a book I'd recommend and one I'll be keeping in my own personal library. A GREAT read!
 

Rating:

No comments: