What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Deadly Whisper by Stacey Kennedy

A Deadly Whisper
Stacey Kennedy / Erotic Romance
Book One of The Watcher's series
Cobblestone Press / July  2010

Will destiny be enough to break her free of a lifetime of secrets?

Knox, the Seeker, has waited two hundred years for his Watcher and now he's found her. Paxtyn, however, is unwilling to join him. The more he tries to prove himself to her, the more she pushes him away.

Paxtyn has spent a lifetime keeping her secret hidden from the world, but now, she must confront these deadly visions head on. When a string of murders brings her into New Orleans, she must come to terms with her personal demons and use her gift to communicate with spirits to discover who has ended their lives.



Every book I’ve read by Stacey Kennedy, I’ve fallen completely in love with and devoured within hours. She writes amazing stories filled with passion, romance and intense sensuality between the two leading characters as she weaves them through storylines that are every readers dream. As a huge fan of urban fantasy and paranormal romance, I found out that Stacey also had an erotic series out and when I looked it up found this book, A DEADLY WHISPER. The blurb SCREAMED at me to buy the book and what can I say - the rest was history. Hours later, the book was finished and I was left with a HUGE sigh and grin on my face.

I really loved the concept for the storyline of the book. A DEADLY WHISPER shares the story of Paxtyn, a young woman with a secret – she sees people’s death. She could be anywhere, doing anything and be drawn to a place only to have those last few moments of a person’s life unfold before her. She’s been treated as crazy all her life and so has kept it to herself but early on in the story, she shares it with her best friend Tate and later Knox, the man that has waited forever to find her. Paxtyn is at first shocked and then relieved to discover her ability to see the final death of people isn’t a curse but something that is needed in fighting the war against hideous demons from Hell. She is a Watcher, a female descendant from angels who when paired together with her Seeker, the deliciously hunky Knox, helps rid the world of the creatures that prey and feast on humans. Being the other half of a complete pair, Knox opens up a new world to Paxtyn filled with purpose as well as introducing her to complete passion. Doesn’t that sound like an AMAZING story? It was filled with interesting detail, making it easy for me to imagine those scenes where Paxtyn faces the demons she’s sent out to find. Everything was so visually descriptive which came in real handy during the HOT and SPICY eyebrow raising scene where Knox helps Paxtyn through her first ritual. One thing you can say for the author is she sure knows how to deliver *wink wink*

Like all relationships, there were kinks to be worked out between Knox and Paxtyn and I loved the different approach the author took with this couple. I will admit it did throw me a little and made me worry because I’m used to the author’s other characters acting pretty quickly on their attraction. Poor Knox and Paxtyn suffered from a BAD case of “Why doesn’t he/she like me?” when really there was A LOT of mixed signals and misunderstanding. It made for interesting reading and a lot of groaning from me. I was ready to jump into the story and play relationship counselor and tell Paxtyn to stop being so snappy but you know what? The bigger the conflict, the greater the tension, the more INCREDIBLE it is when they FINALLY got it. I was cheering and laughing, tears in my eyes saying “About time guys!! Now hurry up you got lots of hot catch up sex to have!” *gasp did I say that?* When both these great characters were finally in sync with each other, they were beautiful together. Knox was the strong protective alpha and Paxtyn was the strong opinionated heroine that did what she needed to but did a perfect job of soothing her man’s ego. (because we all know that those hunky alphas can be a wee bit demanding) By the end of the book, I was completely satisfied and ready for more.

Despite my slight pause, I loved reading this book and it continued to prove to me that Stacey Kennedy is one heck of a writer. She has an incredible imagination, coming up with a fresh storyline that has me waiting impatiently for any new releases to this series. A new book crush was born from Paxtyn’s best friend Tate (that man was seriously S.E.X.Y) and so *hint hint* if there is a new one coming *hint hint* let’s hope he’s the next one up LOL. Do yourself a favor – buy every book you can find by this author, starting with this one because they’re filled with great sizzling romance. Happy reading!

 
Rating:


1 comment:

Kristina Barnes♥ said...

Mkay at first, this really started sounding like The Body Finder's premise. But then it takes its own unique take with... angels/demons. To be honest, this sounds really interesting. xD I actually might pick this one up! xD Thanks for the review. <3