What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lucifer's Daughter by Eve Langlais

Lucifer's Daughter
Eve Langlais / Paranormal Romance
Liquid Silver Books / August 2010

Being Lucifer’s daughter can be hell.

Hi, I’m Muriel, the only white sheep in a sea of black ones, and a virgin to boot. I am determined to wait for love, but my dad, more commonly known as Lucifer, just wants me to stop being an embarrassment. I’m hoping the hunk that I met in my bar will turn out to be the one–just looking at him makes my insides melt like marshmallows over the coals of hell, but trusting is hard when it seems everyone I get close to ends up trying to kill me.

Not only am I dealing with an extreme case of lust, there’s a new threat in hell, one my dad says to ignore. Something easier said than done since it seems everywhere I turn demons are trying to kill me. But I’m okay with that, because one thing I’ve learned being a princess of hell is that sometimes I have to grab a demon by the horns and slap it around a bit.

A rebellion in hell, demon assassins and scorching kisses, could my life get any more interesting?


With the title of Lucifer’s Daughter, what else could this story be but a wickedly HOT one.

One look at the blurb and I knew I wanted to read it. As a lover of paranormal romance, the whole idea of a story seen through the eyes of a princess of Hell was extremely appealing and the line “makes my insides melt like marshmallows of the coals of hell” sealed the deal. It gave the promise that as I began to read I would find everything I love and to my absolute excitement it didn’t fail to deliver what I could only describe as a book SINFULLY entertaining with a heavy dose of sexy. If there was any chance of instant combustion, I took that risk as I read because this story sucked me in, lit a fire and burned through me until the satisfying, sigh inducing end.

Lucifer’s Daughter opened up with a conversation between Muriel and her Daddy dearest Lucifer, also known as Satan, the Devil, the Father of all Lies, Beelzebub, Prince of Darkness, King of Hell. We get to see their relationship in a snapshot – he’s frustrated she’s too good and wants desperately for her to “evil it up” because honestly, how does it look if Lucifer has a daughter who’s light on the sin and a virgin. With great love for her father, Muriel reminds him once again that as strange as it may seem to the world, her first time will be with someone she loves and that he needs to make do with the little “sins” she does do. Little does Muriel know but she’s about to meet a man with a low gravelly voice and sexy as hell (no pun intended) that will literally rock her world. Auric just might be the “one” if he can pass her three tests, one of them being his reaction to her being a princess of Hell and if she could just figure out what he’s hiding from her. He evades all her questions, seems to turn up everywhere and then there’s the question of just who he is and what kind of “supernatural” he is. As situations throw them together and things start to spice up – between them and the plot to overtake Hell – Muriel finds herself having to make a tough decision – just how much is she willing to risk for love?

I have to say I loved this story and the whole idea of it. Having never read Eve Langlais before, I was excited to find that she adds a great sense of humor with her style of writing. It had a nice lighthearted feel to it which made it very easy to fall into the story and it kept me totally involved to the end. I loved the emotions that I felt as I read and the connection I had with both Muriel and Auric. As a complete romance junkie, this had it all – those early moments of awareness, the longing for closeness and hands down my favorite – the drama of the fight that comes when that love is threatened and eventually conquered. The author had me sighing as I devoured each page and for me the story ended way too soon but I can’t really complain because the story will continue in Snowballs In Hell, which judging by the title looks just as good.

I enjoyed the way she wrote her characters, especially Muriel because she was instantly likeable and became someone that I was interested to learn more about. Here was a girl who held a conviction that even her father couldn’t break. At first glance I had to ask myself just what kind of character Muriel was, would she be a squeaky clean girly-girly. Oh she was definitely girly from the wardrobe she had but Muriel had spunk and the right kind of sass that made her a strong person. She was definitely tough, a necessity that comes with warding off attacks and I loved the confidence she had in her abilities to take care of herself. It was funny reading of her attraction to Auric and the frustration she felt as that attraction wreaked havoc over her body. As caught up as she become, she was still smart and as things took a turn for the worst, I loved her willingness to act, to fight and to do whatever it took to protect her newfound love. She was definitely a great character and with the mystery that comes with the secrets locked in her mind, it’ll be interesting to see what happens next with her.

Auric *sigh* He had me from the beginning when he walked into Muriel’s workplace with that sexy swagger and bad boy persona. You don’t really get to know who he truly is until deeper into the story but nothing beats a man of mystery and with his leather duster and magic sword (which he knew how to use VERY VERY well lol) it was easy to see why Muriel lost her heart so quickly to him. He was definitely the kind of hero I look for – extremely masculine, protective as heck and that sexy scar of his *sigh* Of course it also didn’t hurt that he was capable of melting Muriel’s insides with those deliciously hot kisses of his and how he smoldered when he looked at her *sighs again* Yep it wasn’t very hard to fall for him at all.

I’m really glad I got the chance to read Lucifer’s Daughter and it was definitely a great way to spend an evening. Eve Langlais has found herself another fan and I can’t wait to see what she has in store for Muriel and Auric. With the way these two are with each other, it can only mean more heart racing action. Happy reading!!


Rating:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow I'm blushing. That's the wickedest review ever. Thanks :)

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

This sounds...absurdly tempting! Excellent review :D