What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Club Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair

Club Shadowlands
Cheris Sinclair / Erotica: BDSM
Book 1 in the Masters of Shadowlands

Her car disabled during a tropical storm, Jessica Randall discovers the isolated house where she's sheltering is a private bondage club. At first shocked, she soon becomes aroused watching the interactions between the Doms and their subs. But she's a professional woman--an accountant--and surely isn't a submissive...is she? Master Z hasn't been so attracted to a woman in years. But the little sub who has wandered into his club intrigues him. She's intelligent. Reserved. Conservative. After he discovers her interest in BDSM, he can't resist tying her up and unleashing the passion she hides within.

Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: Anal play/intercourse, strong BDSM theme and content (including/not limited to bondage, caning, restraints, spanking, etc), exhibitionism, voyeurism.


First Line

"Jessica Randall scrambled out of the water-filled ditch, her heart hammering."

A Quick Tease

"He set the glass down, and then, as if he'd heard her thoughts, he took her face between his hands and brought his mouth down on hers. Her heart sped up, but it was the way he held her in place that sent hunger searing through her veins. His lips were firm, knowledgale, teasing a response from her. A stinging nip made her open her mouth, and he punged in, his tongue stroking hers. Everything inside her seemed to melt. A burn started between her legs, and her hands curled around his muscular forearms in an effort to keep herself upright. With a low laugh, he took her wrists and put her arms around his neck. nudging her legs apart, he moved between them..."
 
 
My Review
 
Being the lover of reading romance that I am, every now and then I come across a blurb that sizzles or a cover that makes me take a second, much deeper look. My heart starts racing and I’m starting to get that excited self talk - “Oh Belinda.. I think we just found a new book to devour” Right before I click the To Purchase button, a caption then catches my eyes. It’s a disclaimer that the book contains strong BDSM themes and then lists a long list of sexual acts. Instantly my hands freezes, I break out into a sweat and I close the screen. That scene isn’t for me, I tell myself, I’m not into the whips and chains and dog collar wearing. But lately I’ve been getting a little adventurous and find myself staring at more and more BDSM titles. So I decided to take a leap of faith and with a recommendation in my hand, I downloaded CLUB SHADOWLANDS to my Kindle. With shaking hands and strong curiosity I started and hours later … I am still thinking about how amazing it was! If there was ever a book to break my BDSM book virginity with, this story was it.


I won’t profess to know anything about the lifestyle. Yes, I had some preconceived ideas but straight away I appreciated the author’s patience in explaining the details. The book shares the story of Jessica, a controlled accountant who found herself stranded in the middle of nowhere during a storm. Looking for shelter and a phone to call for help, the lucky girl stumbles across a house where she’s reluctantly taken in. She finds out she’s at a private club and given an option – she can spend the night in the cold, empty entry way or she can sign papers and become a member. With the attitude that she wasn’t buying a car so how bad could it be, Jessica quickly signs the document and is whisked away by the sexy manager. What follows next is a shock to her senses. He leads her into a changing room where he proceeds to take control. She’s showered, toweled and clothed and lead out into the club. Everywhere she turns are people, couples in all states of undress, doing things that she never thought possible. Tess is intrigued, horrified but most of all aroused by what she sees and the manager/owner, Dom Master Z sees in her the beauty of a submissive. He takes her under his wing, placing her under his command and although she struggles at times, there’s no denying the chemistry between the two. The story shows Master Z introducing the BDSM scene to his fascinating new sub, talking and showing her the pleasures that come when trust is placed in his hands. Feelings intensify as Jessica struggles to accept there’s nothing wrong with her loving her sex with a kink in it. Is she ready to open herself up, commit to Master Z and lifestyle? Or will she turn and walk away afraid?

There is such great emotion with this story. I had all sorts of images running through my head of what scenes would look like and was blown away at just how far off I was. The author did an amazing job with just how tasteful the story was and I know it was because she took the time to explain to the reader via Jessica why things were the way they were. I will admit there were some things that shocked me at first but I found there was a strong element of sensuality and respect that it made difficult not to get aroused by it all. There was such a level of intimacy between Master Z and Jessica that I felt I was brought into their little piece of the world and I was comfortable. That wasn’t something I expected but it was a great experience.

I really enjoyed getting to know Jessica. She was definitely my kind of character because she had such real responses. I thought she was extremely brave. Not because she willing took part in the club and some of its activities but that she was so open to explore new things AND to share what she liked and didn’t. I liked that she was able to take those small risks with Master Z and that through placing her trust in him, she experienced life changing pleasure. I loved watching her come to grips with her body image, to watch her go from obedient sub to spitfire when she felt someone was being threatened. I felt for her when she was punished for breaking club rules but it didn’t break her. I think it came with having such an amazing Dom care for her and I really enjoyed living vicariously through her as I read.

Master Z, or Zachary as he’s known away from the club, was one part masculine sensuality, one part sex on a stick and one part force of nature. Put that all together and you get a Dom that any woman would fall over herself for. He was incredible. He was firm and commanding, then gentle and tender. He took his role really seriously and everything was for Jessica’s pleasure. It was important for him to be in tune to her needs, anticipating them, knowing just how far to push her boundaries. I loved how he was with Jessica knowing she was new to the lifestyle and how he knew just how much of a taste to give her. He made me tremble a little as I read and I know he’s made a very lasting impression. I don’t have many “ordinary” men on my lust list seeing it’s occupied with a whole bunch of hunky Supes. I have one now – Master Z and he fully holds his own. He may not have fangs or fur but that man has restraints and handcuffs and is an expert in using them *shivers* Absolutely delicious.

I loved everything about reading CLUB SHADOWLAND and feel it is the perfect book for readers who are new to erotica with BDSM themes and have a healthy curiosity. It’s definitely whet my appetite to read more and given me a greater respect for the lifestyle. So if you’ll excuse me, book two Dark Citadel is waiting for me. Happy reading!

 
Rating
 


No comments: