What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Master Of The Abyss by Cherise Sinclair

Master Of The Abyss
Cherise Sinclair
Book Two - Mountain Masters series
Erotic Romance - BDSM

On the mountain, the watcher seeks out evil women. And then they die. Two years ago, when Jake Hunt uncollared his slave, she committed suicide. Guilt-ridden, he will commit to a woman for one night only, devoting his energy to a mountain lodge that caters to a BDSM crowd. Kallie Masterson is tough. Unwanted as a child, she worked hard to become a wilderness guide. She’s proud of who she is, and hurt that Jake frowns on her for acting like a man. After rescuing the macho guide from a bar fight, Jake is stunned that the ugly men’s clothing hides a warm, responsive woman. A submissive woman. When guide business brings her to the lodge on BDSM night, and she is obviously aroused by the play, Jake takes the little sub right into his world of pain and pleasure. He warns her: one night only. But she responds so beautifully -- so joyously -- under his command, that one night soon becomes two, then three... Then a missing hiker reminds Jake of his past lover, and he realizes he’s become too involved. He pulls back. Meanwhile, the watcher on the mountain has rendered his verdict: Kallie Masterson is evil. The sentence: Death



First sentence

"The sound of melodic laughter added a sweet note to the country-western music drumming through the ClaimJumper tavern."

A Quick Tease

"His voice roughened. "Look at me, Kallie."
The low, commanding tone shook her bones and she shivered. Her gaze flashed up involuntarily.
His eyes narrowed, becoming more intent until she felt like a deer trapped by a cougar. She swallowed hard.
A smile flickered over his angular face. "Well now," he murmurred. "Appearances can be deceiving, can't they?" Aren't you suppsed to be tougher than any man around?" His hand still gentle on her cheek, he ran his thumb over her lips, sending a tremor through her, followed by a wave of heat."


My Review

I can’t get enough of this author with her delicious Doms and I know I’m not the only one. I was looking for a quick hot read that would not only stir up the tingly bits but also sear my heart and MASTER OF THE ABYSS was hands down the best choice. Although I yearn for trips to Club Shadowlands (honestly who wouldn’t with those sexy Masters running loose), Serenity Lodge has quickly become a place I love to visit because the owners and brothers, Jake and Logan, just sizzle with their strong and commanding ways. I expected the heat, I expected the deep sigh moments and I expected to find a thrilling Dom/sub relationship. What I didn’t expect was to be hit of the head with emotion that stole my breath and left me with a smile on my face. Well.. I should’ve expected it but the intensity floored me.


Kallie is a tougher-than-nails kind of woman who would more likely swing a punch than get all girlie on you. She’s had to be as she shelters a very fragile heart within a rough exterior and unflattering clothes. Deep in her heart, she hides the pain of feeling unloved and unwanted and refuses to put herself back in hurts way, even when she harbors an attraction for the local lodge owner Jake Hunt. That man is pure sex on a stick but with a strict “one night only” policy, she knows he won’t take a single moment’s notice of her. That is until he does and once he’s set his sights on her, he rocks her world. Jake would never have thought he’d be attracted to Kallie but when he discovers she’s a natural sexual submissive, he enforces the policy and invites her to a night of “play”. One night becomes another and they both struggle to keep their feelings distant. Meanwhile, there is a killer loose on the mountain who looks for women filled with “demons”. As things become crazy between Jake and Kallie, her protective cousins becoming involved, the killer targets her, bringing the story to a stunning conclusion. Will Jake suffer the loss of another woman and will he finally admit his love for Kallie? Even though Kallie has given her body into Jake’s care, will she also give over to him her fear of abandonment? And finally, will the killer get his way, destroying Kallie in his sick belief of saving the men in her life?

Cherise Sinclair continues to suck me in, impress me, educate me and dazzle me with her stories and I loved the way MASTER OF THE ABYSS took over my senses. The setting for the book was definitely different from her Masters series but I loved watching the BDSM scene away from the club, music and mayhem. Even though the book was filled with erotic moments, I enjoyed imagining the scenery of the mountains and creeks as Jake and Kallie had their fill of each other. I loved the plot Cherise mixed in with the story – of a killer on the loose and the brief moments you spent in his head. Don’t be fooled into thinking all this author can write is sex. She’s amazing at weaving heavy emotions in her stories and her villain was completely convincing. The only thing that I missed in this book was the after scene “sub snuggle” that you find when you visit Club Shadowlands. After the Dom has taken his sub and pushed her to new heights of pleasure, I loved watching him wrap her up in a blanket and snuggle with her on his lap. There is a level of erotic sensuality and intimacy that comes from that kind of connection and was sad to see that didn’t happen too much with Jake and Kallie. I will add though, when it did happen in the end, I was so choked up with tears streaming down my cheeks because the moment was so intense. I think that’s what I love most about this author – she pushes her readers all the way like an observant Dom. She knows what we want, she knows what we need but it’s at her discretion how we receive it. It was an amazing story and such a memorable experience

I really loved Kallie and Jake as a couple. I used to think being submissive was to be weak but that would definitely not be a word I’d use to describe Kallie. She is one tough character but with a real vulnerable side. Like with most tough exteriors, she hides a hidden hurt and I loved that Jake not only recognized that she had the false belief of not being wanted, but that he cared enough to help her work through it. He was one sexy man that looked beyond it all and saw into her heart, and took charge when it was needed to help her. I loved the way they played off each other. Both of them came to each other with baggage – one not feeling wanted and the other not wanting to be needed. But love doesn’t care about those things and I had so much fun watching them realize just how much they truly cared for each other. There was so much intensity to this couple and I was so happy to reading their journey. Jake – like all of Cherise’s Doms was sexy and commanding and I found myself wanting to submit to him and his firm demands weren’t even meant for me. He had that tortured appeal that I loved and I completely enjoyed seeing him realize what he needed. *sigh* Totally fell in love with this couple.

This was such a great story and one I wholeheartedly encourage romance lovers to read. A great book and series for those new to the BDSM lifestyle and who have a curiosity for it. I don’t regret exploring this branch of the genre and I’m eagerly looking for new authors. Give this book a try and I hope you fall as deeply for this Dom and sub as I have. Happy reading!


Publisher's Note: This book contains explicit sexual content, graphic language, and situations that some readers may find objectionable: Anal play/intercourse, strong BDSM theme and content (including/not limited to bondage, caning, restraints, spanking, etc), exhibitionism, voyeurism.



Rating:
 

No comments: