What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Slave To Her Desires by Jill Myles

Slave To Her Desires
A Succubus Diaries novella
Jill Myles
Paranormal Romance

Immortality is not always a blessing. Turned into a succubus against her will, Olivia Rhodes has lived the past 120 years as a slave to her cruel and vindictive vampire master. She's escaped him, but he's closing in fast. Her only hope? The fallen angel that abandoned her when she was turned, David Thornton.

But David's not the cold-hearted monster she's always thought he was...nor did he abandon her. And when Olivia's hatred of David turns to desire, will her need for revenge against her vampire master destroy the one beautiful thing in her life, or will she find a way to make David love her despite the creature she's become?

A Quick Tease

"I have learned over my very long, sometimes painfully boring life that not that much changes in a hundred years."
"And are you bored now?" I couldn't resist asking.
He leaned so close that his mouth was almost on mine, and I felt a flush of heat shimmer through my body. "I am never bored in your presence, Olivia."

My Review

Slave To Her Desires was a book Jackie over at Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories gifted me a while ago and it was the perfect read for a lazy afternoon. There's something to be said about the novella - it holds just enough of the story to keep you rivetted but not so long that you can't finish it in one sitting. I was glad because the moment I met David - I was smitten. The man was absolutely swoonworthy and the perfect companion to the heroine, Olivia. This was a great read and I'm left with a smile on my face *huge grin*

I felt deeply for Olivia. Not a succubus by choice, she has endured a lifetime of torture and abuse at the hand of her vampire Master. In a bid to declare her freedom, she escapes and searches for the only person who could help her - David, her other Master. David is a fallen angel, a Serim but no one has seen him for years. Going to the only lead she has, Olivia approaches Noah, another Serim and makes her request. After over a hundred years of pure hatred towards David for betraying her, leaving her at the hands of a monster, she is shocked to find why David hasn't come for her and even more stunned by the feelings that awaken between them. Caught in a cat and mouse game between her vampire master and her growing love for David, the story comes to a head in a confrontation that will result in one of two things - the vampire's death or hers. But Olivia finds what she gains stretches her and challenges her very belief in who she is. This is a story of no matter the horrors someone is forced to face, they can still be loved, still be cherished. It left me sighing and with a good feeling in my heart.
I loved Olivia and cheered for her all through the book. She has had such a sucky life and I don't know how she survived the abuse she lived through. Me, I'd have been crawled up in a corner, rocking back forth out of mind. She did the best she could with the hand she was dealt and I loved watching her battle with her emotions. It's not easy to flip thr switch between loathing someone and loving them and as strong as she was, it was nice to see her vulnerability. As her feelings strengthened, it shook her to think that David didn't return them and with her own self image - she didn't think she deserved him.

David, in my mind, was magnificent. Having missed over a hundred years of his existence, he woke in a different time where morals and society are different. I think he handled it in his stride and he really was this sweet, tender gentleman who knew how to treat Olivia properly. I loved how protective he was, that he wasn't some cold hearted Master who would use her for his amusement. He honestly saw her as her own person and someone worthy of respect. There were quite a few moments through the book where I was in a complete swoon, making them the highlights of the book. He was the perfect balance for Olivia and the direct opposite of her other Master.

I'd definitely recommend this book for others to read. It's a quick read, which is great for when you want to completely immerse yourself a good story without the worry of stretching it out over days and weeks. Thanks Jackie for a great suggestion and I'm eager to read the rest of the series. Just as an FYI - Jill has a prequel to the series called Foreplay available on Amazon and it's pretty interesting. It's a prologue, just a tease but it gives a glimpse of the authors writing style. Check them all out! Happy reading.

Rating

2 comments:

bittenbyromance said...

This looks good. Thanks for the review

Jackie said...

Was it not nice to find out about Jill Myles succubus series? Wait to read all about "Jackie" and Zane and Noah, you are going to LOVE the series Belinda!