What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Review: The Iron Knight, by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Knight (The Iron Fey #4)
YA Fantasy Romance
Official Blurb:
Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing.

Unless he can earn a soul.


To cold, emotionless faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl— smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side.

To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale.

And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.


What I thought:
Wow!!! I don't even know where to begin with this book!  I have to say, first of all, I was really excited to read it because it's in Ash's voice.  He's by far and away my favorite character in this series, so that had me getting giddy right there!  Then I read the blurb and I was terrified-quaking in fear of the trials I knew that must be coming.  So when the earc arrived from Netgalley my love of Ash won out and I dove in immediately.

I think I loved this book from the first word.  To be inside Ash's head was a real treat.  He's often a hard one to get speaking about what is on his mind, so getting to live there for a full books was heaven to me.  But heaven didn't come without a price.  On more occasions than I could count I found myself holding my breath or letting out little groans of agony as I had to watch the things he endured.  He was truly tried and tested in every way and it was heart wrenching!  Toward the end of the book I found myself sobbing uncontrollably over the sacrifices he made.  It was pure, exquisite torture, and I LOVED every minute of it.

I also enjoyed all of the secondary characters in this book too.  Thank heavens for Puck and his comic relief or I may have drown completely in Ash's emotion. (Not entirely a bad thing) There were some new characters introduce and old ones that took center stage too.  All of them worked together to make a very nice ensemble.

I was curious how Julie would work her way around the love story in this book since I knew Ash and Megan would be seperated for most of the story.  I had an idea come to me and it turned out that the author did indeed chose to go in that direction, and I thought it was very well done.  Once again, ripping the heart of the reader right out of their chest and then feeding it back to them in little snatches and pieces.

This series will go down as one of my all time YA favorites for sure!  Get it, read it, love it, swoon over it!! Yep! It's that good!

My Rating:
(AND THEN SOME!!!)
and for the award....well I couldn't decide so Prince Ash get them ALL!!!

Reviewed by:

Lacey Weatherford
Author ~ Reviewer

No comments: