What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lover Reborn by J.R. Ward

Lover Reborn
#10 Black Dagger Brotherhood
J.R. Ward
Paranormal Romance

Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment is a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance- and is unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams—trapped in a cold, desolate netherworld—he turns to the angel to save his former mate, only to despair at the path he himself must take to set her free. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vies for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past, and a future that he doesn’t know he can live with… but can’t seem to turn away from.



This was such a highly anticipated book for me. I worried that it would kinda fall flat like Lover Unleashed did so I wanted this to be EPIC. Following through the series, each of the characters has found a way to endear themselves to me, but Tohr ... poor Tohr .... he needed some closure. I was eager to see which characters would fill in the story around him and I am excited to say that I LOVED this book! Even though there were moments were I felt the author had lost her mind, this was a book that gripped me and didn't let go. It gave me the exact kind of experience I look for when reading ~ one filled with emotions. I felt it all through Lover Reborn ~ anger, pride, swoon, tears and laughter.

One thing I enjoyed most about this story was how the author wasn't afraid to make her characters real. There were a few times I wanted to jump into the book and beat Tohr ... beat Qhuinn as well but I could understand why they may have felt they needed to act the way they did. It's always a shock when you see the hero say or do things that make your eyes widen and you think "Oh crap he so didn't go there ... did he?" and this happened with Tohr. Man, he said some things that made me cringe, but grief can make a jerk out of anyone. I waited patiently through the book for him to finally soften and realize that it's okay to love again and that it was time to move on. I will say this though - as much as I loved following his journey to his HEA with Autumn, what would've made it over the top is if we saw more of his "AWWWWWW" moment. You know, where he realized just how much Autumn meant to him. We saw a full book of his angst and refusal to give in, and sometimes I feel a little robbed that I didn't get more of the "Sigh ... he finally got it." moment - the click that said he redeemed his actions. It was still amazing to read though.

I absolutely ADORED Qhuinn in this book. Can I just say how EPIC I thought his part was, how completely bad ass he is and how proud I was to see him risk his life for the King. He may be young, and h may be all over the place with his feelings for Blay, but he isn't afraid to put himself on the line for what he believes in. I loved seeing a more mature Qhuinn and I totally squeed when I heard the next book is his and Blays. Hopefully now the two can finally come together and not have all their angst spread out over books. I'll admit to wanting to throw my kindle across the room at the twist at the end of the book. I knew there was a possibility going in, but my heart kept screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOO." I'm still not sure what's going to happen, but after hearing JR Ward talk about how she envisions the next book playing out, I went from frustrated to "Awwwww" to tears. I can't wait for Qhuinn to get everything he deserves and more and loved reading him in this book.

There were a lot of great moments in Lover Reborn but NOTHING and I mean NOTHING could surpass the beauty of the ending chapters. I seriously felt as though my heart had been ripped from my chest as I sobbed. The Fading Ceremony was beautifully written and full of gut wrenching emotion for me. It started as the Brothers came in with a gift for Tohr and it didn't let go as I read through the ritual. It was powerful and left me a little speechless. The twist at the end had me reeling but it was perfect! This was definitely one of my favorite scenes from the entire series because I could imagine myself there watching, experiencing it alongside the Brothers and their shellans. It still chokes me up just thinking about it.

Overall, this was a great addition to the series and there's a lot of set up for future books. The Band of Bastards were huge in this book, and the introduction of a new character has me wondering what part he'll play. I can't wait to see what's going to happen next because the author has created an intriguing world. This is definitely a book I'll reread because I know there is just so much to absorb. Don't hesitate in grabbing a copy for yourself and devouring it! Happy reading!!

Rating:

No comments: