What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Crown Of Crystal Flame by CL Wilson

Crown Of Crystal Flame
CL Wilson / Fantasy / Romance
Book #5 in the Tairen Soul series

Elvish Seers had long foreseen an extraordinary destiny for Ellysetta Baristani. Already, she had won the heart of the Fey King, saved the offspring of the magical tairen, and fought beside her mate against the threatening evil of Eld.... But the most powerful -- and dangerous -- Verse of her Song had yet to be sung. As a cataclysmic battle draws nigh and evil tightens its grip upon her soul, will Ellysetta secure the world for Light or plunge it into Darkness for all eternity?




I can’t even begin to describe just how magnificent this book, this whole series has been to read. I’ve followed the story, fallen in love with the characters and felt along with them the challenges and triumphs as they fight to save the world from darkness. Crown of Crystal Flame has been one of my most anticipated reads EVER and with everything hanging in the balance, so many storylines left unsure, I opened the book and didn’t stop until the last word was read.

There were so many beautifully written scenes in this book, so many tender moments; powerful moments where I’d break out in goose bumps and have shivers run through my body. I never knew from page to page what emotion I was going to feel or how intensely I would experience them and there were honestly times I was sobbing so hard that I didn’t know if I could continue. What an amazing writer CL Wilson is to be able to capture the essence of love, friendship, loyalty and courage and present it so beautifully in a story of fantasy and romance. The worry is always that the longer the series goes, the weaker the story becomes but Crown Of Crystal Flame brought the entire series to a stunning end, filled with twists and turns that honestly left me exhausted. Never have I been so grateful for the imagination I have that I could see this story unfold in my mind because the book was truly alive and I was able to experience everything. Well done CL Wilson – in my mind you’ve written a masterpiece.

I always love reading through a series and watching the characters discover themselves and become stronger and more confident in their abilities. Ellysetta started off as a mere woodcarver’s daughter but the Ellysetta I found in this book was this beautiful, strong, confident woman, everything the Feyreisa and truemate to the Tairen Soul should be. She was so compassionate with those around her, reaching out to lift their burdens but also bold and fearless to those that dared endanger those she loved. I REALLY loved watching how despite all her fears and struggles over the terrifying nightmares/portents she had that showed her just how dark and evil she could become, she never ran and hide from her responsibilities, showing great courage to do what was right. The inability to complete her bond with Rain was always something weighing on her, Rain’s madness becoming more and more defined but still she was there for him, reaching out with her strength and for a lover of romance like me, it was truly incredible to watch this couple together. So tender with each other, so aware of each other, so completely committed. My heart broke for them as they struggled to keep other safe and they honestly are one of my most favorite and beloved book couples.

Rain as always was magnificent. I’ve always loved Rain and sighed over the love he never held back from Ellysetta. The sun rose and set with her and I always appreciated how he supported her even during those times when what she needed and wanted to do could bring her harm. Throughout this book, Rain had to hold tight to his growing anger as the madness grew stronger, constantly finding himself and Ellysetta in danger. With the bond not complete, he was forever walking that fine edge and I have to say that with everything they went through, his strength and honor was amazing because a lesser man would have given in and lost control. Rain’s beliefs were also challenged to the extreme in this book, everything he had grown up thinking as truth had to be put aside and his ability to humble himself and admit he had been wrong just made him more perfect, sexier in my eyes. Even now as I try to find the words to describe how much I’ve come to love his character, I’m sitting here sighing with a dreamy look on my face. The only thing more I can say is you need to read and watch him for yourself. He is breathtaking.

I usually add a paragraph to share something that made an impression within the story and for me, this book was made perfect by those lost Fey who everyone accused as being dishonorable – the Dahl’reisen. My heart has always bled for these men who instead of giving themselves over to an honorable death when the weight of death was too much for their souls, chose to live and fight. They were reviled, their names never spoken, banished from their homelands, considered dead. Throughout the books, they were always suggested as being dark and evil and I was grateful to the author for letting us see more and more about them. Everything is not always as it seems and some beliefs need to be challenged. That was the case in this book with the Dahl’reisen and how excited I was that they got their moments to shine. I have NEVER sobbed so hard through a book than I did when Ellysetta blessed a group of these warriors before they gave their life for her, defending her against the Mahrog. For the full impact of just how amazing this was, picture these men as I just described them. Imagine living a life where they were despised and then imagine being blessed by a woman so revered that when it was over, they SANG. She had given them hope and they SANG. OMGSH I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

The book was filled with many moments like that and it made it such a pleasure to read. I have absolutely no complaints about this book or the entire series. If I could use one word to describe this book I would say It was exhilarating – from beginning to end. This series is of EPIC proportions and I HIGHLY recommend you start from the beginning. This is the group of books that if I could only chose one series to read for the rest of my life, I would be satisfied. Crown Of Crystal Flame closed this series well and if you haven’t already guessed – it earns my O.M.G.S.H. Award. Simply stunning!


Rating:



1 comment:

TheBookGirl said...

I don't think an author could ask for more in a review...you've made this series sound like a must read for anyone who reads this genre :)