What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Under The Moon's Shadow by T.L. Haddix

Under The Moon's Shadow
Book Two of Leroy's Sins series
T.L. Haddix
Romantic Suspense

Reviewed for The Romance Reviews

People are disappearing in the Ohio River town of Leroy, Indiana - people who are less likely to be reported missing. Amid swirling rumors of devil worship and sacrifice, reporter Beth Hudson's investigation into the whereabouts of the missing people leads her deeper and deeper into the clutches of a killer, while her personal life takes a tragic turn of its own. Can she save herself before she is claimed as the latest victim, or will she become another one of the missing?  



This was my first experience reading a romance with a suspenseful theme, so I was pretty apprehensive when I started to read it. The blurb describing the book was very intriguing and was the key factor in my final decision. By the end of the story, I was a firm believer in the power of a well-written blurb because I would have totally missed reading something that thrilled me with its action and moved me with the depth of emotion found in its characters and the journey of a couple that had to go through the pain of separation and betrayal only to find themselves come a full circle.

The author did an incredible job in writing a story that held me firmly in its grip. I loved the pacing of the book because it gave me the opportunity to enjoy what I was reading and the time to picture in my mind everything that was happening. What I especially appreciated was the way she put the story together because it felt as though it was two books in one.

The first part had me following Beth, the lead reporter of her small town paper as she tried to uncover the truth behind a series of disappearances and discovery of ritualistic altars. It placed me straight in the middle of conflict and as the story progressed and tension built, I was totally hooked on knowing who was behind it all. The implication that Ethan, the potential love interest for Beth, was involved lead to some interesting scenes and I loved the excitement it had me feeling.

The second part of the book was what really touched my heart and moved me at one point to tears. Without giving too much away, it tells of Beth's journey to recover from the trauma of earlier events and her struggle to repair the damage to her spirit. To me, the storyline was realistic and I liked what I could only describe as the extra touches that made connecting with Beth easy. I enjoyed the obstacles Ethan and Beth had to work through before finally accepting and knowing what they wanted from each other. One thing for sure though – the last few sentences of the book blew my mind and has me somewhat impatient for the next book.

I loved the different characters of the story. I enjoyed reading the way they interacted with each other and how they were able to deal with the different challenges they faced. I admired the courage Beth showed in working through her fears to slowly put her life together and how after everything that happened, she was able to grab hold of what she wanted and claim it. Her relationship with Ethan was rocky at the best of times and I felt for both of them. Poor Ethan tugged on my heartstrings because through the many choices he made, disaster always seemed to follow. I loved the growth I saw in his character, the vulnerability I was eventually able to see as he pushed through it all. Watching all the tension, the betrayal, the anger and hurt made me want to cheer for the couple all the more loudly. I couldn't help but fall in love with them.

Looking back, I really enjoyed the experience and aside from a little confusion about the abrupt disappearance of a subplot, it was a terrific read. Oh and just so you know, the confusion turned into an "OMGSH" at the last moment and the excitement from it will lead me into the next installment. For me, this was a well-written book and one that I think readers will enjoy a lot. UNDER THE MOON'S SHADOW is definitely a book worth getting a hold of and reading. Enjoy!

Rating
 

1 comment:

TheBookGirl said...

This sounds like a book with alot going on, and all of it good :)
It's interesting how the author was able to develop equally well, two different plot lines...the thriller/mystery angle, and the personal trauma/recovery storyline.
Nice review!