What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Ghost Hunter by Lori Brighton

The Ghost Hunter
Lori Brighton / Paranormal Romance

Ashley Hunter is intent on uncovering the truth about her father's disappearance. But Ashley realizes she's in for more than she bargained. Not only has she inherited a decrepit pub, she's also inherited ghosts and demons. Then Cristian arrives, a mysterious man who insists he only needs a room to rent. She believes him, until one by one her ghosts start disappearing...

As a fallen angel destined for a life of servitude, Cristian Lucius is relegated to protecting earth from unwanted spirits. But he can’t accomplish this daunting task alone. He requires assistance from the very woman who frustrates him as much as she intrigues him. Cristian is determined to ignore his intense attraction for Ashley, and focus on his mission. If they don’t work together, they won’t have a chance in hell of defeating the demon threatening their lives. The problem is getting Ashley to trust him. No easy task, for Cristian is the very man responsible for her father’s disappearance. 



I remember when I was asked to review The Ghost Hunter, I saw the words “fallen angel” and instantly started drooling. The idea of fallen angels is something pretty new to me but the more I’ve read, the more I’m beginning to see what an incredible addition to the paranormal world they are. For me, I can’t read them fast enough.

I really enjoyed the storyline of this book. I’m a HUGE sucker for the sexual tension that comes from the whole “Oh I want you so bad but I need to keep you at arm’s length but gosh you’re so tempting, if I could only have just a little taste of you” There’s something about the longing, the frustration, the intensity that happens when the two characters finally come together that has me literally panting from the emotions of it all. This book had this in spades and paired with an incredible story that pulled me in deep, the book was almost impossible to put down. I’ve never read anything by Lori Brighton before but if this is any indication of the way she writes, I’ll devour anything of hers I can get my hands on. What an amazing experience from beginning to end.

I loved the relationship that developed between the two lead characters, Ashley and Cristian. They were constantly battling against each other whether it was their burning attraction for each other, the confusion and mistrust Ashley felt towards Cristian and his intentions or the torn emotions of Cristian as he fought to stay focused on his task despite his growing need for Ashley. These two characters were hilarious at times and I really loved the way they would banter with each other, often times stirring up the others emotions. I could feel the pull their attractions had over them through each scene and I found myself wishing they would hurry up and admit their love for each other so they could be complete. There were so many surprises in their relationships, turns the author took and I have to say that the ending raised goose bumps on my arms and had me on the verge of sobbing it was so incredibly romantic.

I loved Ashley and felt a little bad for her at first. She ran away to take over her aunt’s pub hoping in the process she could find out what happened to her father. It didn’t take long before she meets with the ghosts that live with her and it pushes her to her limits because all her life, her “gift” has brought her nothing but heartache. She’s a strong character and I loved that she did show caution when she found herself in certain situations. I always roll my eyes at those STUPID girls in horror movies who walk into the dark house knowing there’s something in there that wants to eat them. I couldn’t help but smile over the constant conflict she had with Cristian and the growing attraction she felt for him. Everything in her SCREAMED for him to claim her but still she would fight against it, telling him that she didn’t even like him. I’m laughing at her saying “Oh honey, what you just did with him? Yep you know, what had you moaning just now. That didn’t look like dislike to me” I loved watching her accept her gifts, her role in the danger in the house but most especially, her final acceptance and submission to how she felt for Cristian. HUGE sigh moments!!

Cristian, Cristian, Cristian. My gosh what a man he was. Even now my eyes are rolling into the back of my head, a dreamy smile on my face as I remember how he was in this book. He was just so cocky and arrogant, so deliciously powerful and I loved the presence he had throughout the book. He was there for a purpose and although he was meant to work alongside with Ashley, nothing could prepare him for the connection he instantly felt. I loved watching the battle in waged in him and how everything was sometimes hung in the balance. Oh that man made me moan at times he was that intense and focused, making him everything I look for in an alpha male character. Besides that, how’s this for an image?

“The wind tousled his black hair, making him look boyishly human, instead of otherworldly gorgeous as he’d looked last night. As he was wearing short sleeves, she couldn’t help but notice the way his biceps bulged. And his jeans, dear Lord, the man’s jeans fit well. With his intense gaze, his muscled build and that sexy accent he reminded her of a Highland warrior.”

Do you need something to wipe up the drool as well? Shall we sigh together? This was the image I carried throughout the book and by the end of the story I was ready to jump in and attack him. *offers a cheeky wink*

There wasn’t anything I didn’t like about the book. Everything was evenly paced and exciting, the characters appealing and the romance addicting. I loved the uncertainty of it all and those moments where I was reeling, thinking “OMG I never saw that coming.” This is a great read for anyone interested in fallen angels and the paranormal and it’s definitely a book that will leave you smiling. Happy reading!!


Rating

No comments: