What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ravena And The Resurrected by Tami Jackson

Ravena And The Resurrected
Tami Jackson
Book One - The Resurrected series
Urban Fantasy

Life has never been smooth for Ravena Doomlah. Yet when she admits her fascination with Seattle's vampires to her coworkers, she feels all the more dejected. Not only do her coworkers shuffle away quickly anytime she approaches the company water cooler, but Ravena hears colleagues talking about her behind her back. Once bitten, she tries to hide her new "condition"...moreLife has never been smooth for Ravena Doomlah. Yet when she admits her fascination with Seattle's vampires to her coworkers, she feels all the more dejected. Not only do her coworkers shuffle away quickly anytime she approaches the company water cooler, but Ravena hears colleagues talking about her behind her back. Once bitten, she tries to hide her new "condition" and wants to keep her job but quickly learns lessons in self reliance when she discovers highly motivated Assassins are actively pursuing her trail.



Oh.My.Gosh . This book was a delight and such a wonderful surprise. The cover scared me a little at first but from the moment I met Ravena and her quirky sense of humor, I was hooked. How many of us wish for something? Dream it up in our heads, romanticizing it in every way? That’s how it was for Ravena. She wanted desperately to become a vampire, taking to chatting online with other “wannabes” while she waited for destiny to take a bite out of her. Unfortunately, fantasy doesn’t always match reality when she’s finally turned. No sexy hunk of a man to lead her into immortality. She gets a strange looking creature who flees after attacking and the only contact she gets, is his voice in her head.

Alone, dealing with the changes in her body, poor Ravena finds herself reevaluating her life. After beheading her latest feed, inebriated from alcohol laced blood, she stumbles into the very delicious Peri, who steals her heart and he tenderly takes her home. Life definitely isn’t all fun and games. There are assassins and Ravena is in serious trouble. After losing her roommate to a horrible death and living underground, she finally finds protection under the clan leader Queluh. It’s been a while since she’s seen Peri and her new friendship with Ross helps her deal with all the chaos in the her life. Ravena has a shot at being happy but when the Assassins start to close in, everything explodes in her life again. Will her brave, sassy attitude be enough to keep her focused? Is Peri who he says he is? And can friends ever be more… be lovers? Ravena definitely lives a full life and she was a real joy to read.

I really loved Ravena in this story and thought she was an incredible character. She came across so quirky at times and the thing that struck me the most was she had such a “real” quality to her. It wasn’t hard to identify with her and to understand why she did things a certain way. I totally understood her fascination with vampires and her longing to be turned by a sexy creature of the night. I felt her heart ache when it didn’t go according to plans and I wanted to jump into the book and help her through her loneliness. It seemed as though she never quite fit in wherever she was which was strange because I thought she was remarkable. She had such an off the wall sense of humor that made the book addicting and once I started, I didn’t want to stop. Being the romantic fool I am, I wanted the perfect hero for her - I wanted Ravena to be swept off her feet and cherished, ravished and adored. There were definitely a few guys with potential throughout the story but I will say.. I love who she ended up giving her heart to. He made me sigh and sigh and SIGH! For a book that wasn’t strictly romance, it definitely had its swoon moments.

I would definitely recommend this book to those who love the paranormal, who have the secret longing for immortality as a vampire and love stories focused on characters with heart. RAVENA AND THE RESURRECTED will touch you and make you giggle, making it a fun reading experience. Happy reading!


Rating
 

1 comment:

SunTiger said...

Awesome review. Thank you.