What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Demon Kiss



The Demon Kiss
Lacey Weatherford / YA Paranormal Romance
Can someone else's past come back to bite you? After being drained of nearly all the blood in her body, novice witch, Portia Mullins, wakes p to find that her warlock boyfriend, Vance Magnum, has fled in search of his demon father. Determined to keep him from facing the evil alone, Portia follows after him, unknowingly setting herself on the path of a new adventure that will take her, Vance, and their coven over international borders, into a foreign place where they will discover that the black magic which awaits them is far worse than they ever imagined. Portia finds herself tangled up in a web of lies and deceit in another's quest for demonic power



Ok, I may be a little biased with this review because I know the author but this needs to be said - this book is phenomenal. The first two books for this new series are phenomenal. I encouraged yo now while you're online to go to this website www.amazon.com Type in "The Demon Kiss" and click on it. Click on purchase. Enter in your mailing address and credit card information then click on the icon. Where it tells yo how much it comes to, below it - click on confirmation. Right there is the best decision you've made today. Welcome to the "We can't get enough of this series and please Vance, can I have your baby" support group. I thought I loved the "Trouble with Spells" but I didn't truly understand just how much until I read the final words in this book. I LOVE THIS BOOK. Vance is even more addicting (Hi I'm Bookish Snob and I'm a Vance-aholic) and he moves into a place where he has more edge, where you begin to see that the bad boy you love may just have a dark side. You learn more about why he has such a hard time with his past threatening his life with Portia and you find yourself holding your breath for him. You want to believe that he can fight the urge to give into the cravings and you sit through the whole book with your fingers, toes and eyes crossed (it s possible - uncomfortable as hell and reading is painfully slow but it can be done) But I digress - this isn't the "How Much I Love Vance" review. It's the book "The Demon Kiss" review and I should probably mention the other characters. I liked Portia in this book as she starts to understand more about herself and her magic. She's dedicated to her relationship to Vance and it's always impressive to see the sometimes extraordinary lengths that someone will go to protect the one they love. You feel for her and I gotta tell you, some of THE funniest lines in the book come from Portia. As much as it pains me to admit (because truthfully, I'd be the better choice - hahahaha I can almost hear millions of girls screaming "No you're not, I am") Portia is a good fit for Vance and I enjoyed reading about their experiences together from her perspective. She brings good balance to the story and I look forward to seeing how much she develops. I should probably stop my rant .. I mean my review here because I think I've made it pretty clear that I LOVE this book but I HAVE to give a quick shout out to the most evil father a person can have - Mr Evil himself - Damien Cummings. He made my skin crawl and I LOVED it. Great character. Evil in all it's glory. So .. after taking up your time for the last 5 minutes let me sum this review up. Buy this book. Reread it over and over again. Use it to convert your friends. Oh and VANCE MANGUM for President. (sorry couldn't resist)


Ratings: 5 stars and 3 hearts

Since writing this review, I've edited and so I'd like to include it here (10/19/10)

The Demon Kiss continues the journey in Portia and Vance's discovery of each other and their magic, with events that seem impossibly difficult and relentless in trying to pull them apart. Having overcome the danger of a near demon conversion, Portia and Vance embark on the journey of facing Vance's father, with the hopes of finally laying to rest the threat that hangs over Vance's fate. As I read each page, I found myself pulled deeper into the story and my emotions became tied to theirs. I loved the dynamics the author developed further with Vance and Portia and I have to say that they are rapidly becoming one of my favorite couples. Portia is more committed to doing all she can to support Vance and Vance is more determined to protect Portia at all costs.


Portia continued to grow into a strong character and I loved watching as she became more assertive and secure in herself and the relationship she had with Vance. She wasn’t afraid to do whatever it took to protect Vance and finally rid him of his father’s influence. She had a kind of selflessness that I found incredibly appealing and a tenacity that had me cheering. She is definitely not a character who hides when things get tough, always there on the frontline eager to do her part.

Vance Mangum is everything a bad boy should be and will always and forever guarantee a gush and sigh from me. I loved him in The Trouble With Spells but here, I absolutely fell apart with giddy excitement as I began to see a more edgy side of him. He was still the same charismatic guy you just can’t help be drawn to and you get a much closer look into his tortured past. You need to know I just loved reading how he was with Portia – there were moments of incredible passion and I did mini swoons each time he showed the tenderness of his heart. I could gush about him for hours and I’m impatiently waiting to see more of him because trust me when I say that Vance is delicious.

One of my favorite scenes occur when Portia and Vance come face to face with the evilness that is Vance's father, Damien Cummings and as a villain, Damien definitely delivers the goods. Even through the pages he made my skin crawl and that's what I loved so much about reading this book. Not only did the author have my skin crawling, she also had me blushing through the kissing, sighing through the tenderness, laughing at the humor and cheering in those moments where Vance and Portia needed it the most. She has written the book in a way that engages both the mind and heart of the reader, taking them on a ride that they won't easily forget.

It was such an amazing read with all the twists and turns that had me holding onto my seat, never knowing where the story would take me. Lacey wrote in such a way that it was almost effortless to fall into the story and see the scenes as they unfolded, experiencing each moment alongside the characters. I found myself so engrossed that I couldn’t read fast enough and once I was finished, I began the frantic search for the release date of Lacey's third book, Blood Of The White Witch.

I absolutely adored this book and gush about it to all who will listen. If I could, I’d give everyone this book so they can see for themselves just how fabulous Portia and Vance are. A definite keeper for me and a book I’ll read for many years to come.

No comments: