What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Monday, May 31, 2010

Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side


Jessica's Guide To Dating On The Dark Side
Beth Fantaskey / YA Paranormal Romance

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit in to Jessica Packwood's senior year "get a life " plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth
and he's her long-lost fiance. Armed with new found confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But Jessica has never even been kissed - how can she possibly commit herself to a long-term relationship? Or an eternal relationship, for that matter?


I LOVED this book. I remember standing in Barnes and Nobles, bouncing back and worth on whether I should spend the money and buy it. And if I'm remembering correct at one stage I put it back on the shelf. I am SO glad that I didn't because this book was funny and met all my good book needs. It had romance (seeing I'm a book snob), vampires (because aren't they just to die for - hahaha) and most of all a delicious bad boy who goes through so many emotional transitions that it makes your head spin and your heart pound. Lucius was a wonderful character to read about. When I first read it, my first thought was "Ugh I know I like bad boys, but really? Is he going to stay this arrogant?" Answer - nope but he definitely gets better, sexier and irresistible as the book continues. I liked Jessica because I like strong heroines who know what they want but also have the humility (whether to forced or not) to accept when they were wrong and go after what they want with all they have. I'm not a big fan of wishy washy characters and I found none in this book. There was a breath taking almost kiss that made your toes tingle and left you with the urge to jump into the book and claim Lucius for yourself. The book hit all the key emotions and attitudes, from sarcastic retorts to heart felt pleas. But most of all, what had me spinning in circles was Lucius in his darkest, most inhuman, most evil moments. Nothing gets my heart beating more than the evil bad boy. And what an evil bad boy Lucius makes. This book is a terrific read. It has no boring bits to skim through, you devour each word and good thing is - there's another book in the works.

Ratings: 4.5 stars and 3 hearts

No comments: