What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hush Hush

Fallen
Becca Fitzpatrick / YA Paranormal Romance

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

I wasn't quite sure when I saw this book at Barnes and Noble but the friend I was with told me how much she liked and stressed that I should really read it. I learned something that day ... it is actually a good thing to listen to people and not fade out into the background (for those friends reading this, don't worry this doesn't mean you :P) I went straight home and read it and DEVOURED it. When I for to the end, I kept flipping the pages back and forth muttering "Please tell me there's more and that I'm just too blind to see it. It was really good. I loved Nora. She's just going about her daily business, dealing with the stresses that come with being a teenager and what happens - she gets lumped together with a guy called Patch that is so obviously a bad boy that her only reaction is to beg the teacher for reassignment. This guy is sarcastic and has taken a shine to Nora, that he delights in making her blush,oftentimes waiting for those moments when it's before others. Nora wants to stay away but they keep getting thrown together and the story talks about how Nora deals with it, her growing feelings towards Patch and her confusion where he is concerned. Now Patch. Have I told you how wonderfully he is as a bad boy? There are different levels of bad boy and there is one kind that just rocks my world - the sarcastic bad boy with a dash of evilness. He's the one that when he's good, he's good but when he's bad he is breathtakingly bad. Patch is that kind of bad boy. Your first introduction to Patch is the cocky kid with sarcastic comments that match his mysterious attitude. He is a dream to read and I immediately added him to my bad boy list. He made the book worth reading. Add the fact the book was good, the writing was easy to follow and the author didn't take you on this endless journey of twists and turns to the point where you have motion sickness and are very very confused. I loved the plot and it really has sparked an interest in reading more books based on where the main boy/teen/man is an angel of some kind. But again what stuck out was Patch. He is alluring, appealing and drug you right up close, making you close your eyes, wet your lips and lean in close as you can, breathless for the kiss that doesn't obviously come but you don't care, you're too caught up in his web. He owns you for that moment. Don't you just love bad boys? Here's some examples of classic Patch in his finest glory ...


"I don't go out with strangers," I said (Nora) "Good thing I do. I'll pick you up at five" (Patch)

"He grinned when I didn't protest, and lowered his mouth toward mine. The first touch was just that - a touch. A teasing, tempting softness. I licked my lips and Patch's grin deepened. "More?" he asked. I curled my hands in his hair, pulling him closer. "More"

Hush Hush is well worth the time and money to read. It's a book you can easily lose time reading, so engrossed you become with the story. I'm glad that I listened to my friends recommendation. It helped to solidify my love and devotion to bad boys and to love and romance in general

Ratings: 4.5 stars and 3 hearts

No comments: