What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Glimmerglass

Glimmerglass
Jenna Black / YA Urban Fantasy

Dana Hathaway doesn't know it yet, but she's in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, again, Dana decides she's had enough and runs away to find her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the captivating, magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't an ordinary teenage girl - she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and the only person who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie. Soon, Dana finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone seems to want something from her, from her newfound friends and family to Ethan, the hot Fae guy Dana figures she'll never have a chance with .. until she does. Caught between two worlds, Dana isn't sure where she'll ever fit in or who can be trusted, not to mention if her world will ever be normal again.
(click on title to read more)
This is a good first book to the beginning of what looks like a great series. I've read some of the author's other books and liked them so I was anticipating an entertaining read and I got one. I liked the idea of a character who could walk in both worlds and I liked Dana. I really liked how she was able to speak up for herself and had enough clarity to not let others dictate how she lives and what she does. She isn't a weak character who rolls over and allows the men in her life to treat her as they want to and she is strong enough to take the necessary action. I was a little dazzled by Ethan (the hot hot Fae guy) and had such high hopes for him. I love a guy who when he recognizes he's screwed up, is man enough to step up to the plate and try to redeem himself. I love the flirt that he is and I could just imagine all the blushing I would have done, and the butterflies I would have felt if I was in Dana's place. There's a real potential for something great between Ethan and Dana but who I was really interested in and can't WAIT to see how the author develops him is Keane. He's the bad boy, I don't care, black wearing guy who is a killer fighter turned teacher. I see ALOT of potential for him and hope against hope that in the second book the author dedicates some page time to him. The way I see it, there had to be a reason more than page candy (hehehe) to include him and being the bad boy lover that I am, I'm waiting with baited breath. The only thing I had a hard time with was with an image that the author included in the beginning. I can go with the flow with a story when I see a reason behind the images described but when an author throws one in that is needless and does nothing for the benefit of the story, I'm left feeling a little grossed out. In the fight with Spriggans, a description of the Fae creatures is important but did I really need to know about certain bloodied "appendages" that weren't fingers? Really is that an image I needed? Nope but there it was. Thankfully it wasn't something that I couldn't read past and I finished the book happy. Definitely a book to look into.
Ratings: 3.5 stars and 2 heart

1 comment:

Candace said...

I've been wanting to read this one! The cover is very pretty...