What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Monday, July 5, 2010

Raised By Wolves

Raised By Wolves
Jennifer Lyn Barnes / YA Paranormal

Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year -old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that control it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two. But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs. But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave her friends, her family, and the identity she's shaped?   (click title to read more)

Wow! This book is another example why I crave all things werewolf. I found the book by accident, in fact it was my husband who picked it up and I instantly knew I had to read it. It quickly became one of those books where you sneak away from company so you can read a few more pages and stay awake all night with matchsticks propping open your eyelids. Life amongst a pack fascinates me and I love being able to watch/read about how each person/wolf interacts with each other according to where they fit in the hierarchy. I'm definitely an Alpha girl and I devour any book that lets me learn more about the different layers of their responsibilities. So if you're anything like me, this book is the perfect read. I loved how the author told the story of Bryn, a human girl who was adopted by Callum, an Alpha wolf. I always get this image of Alphas being ruthless, dominating leaders and of course that is definitely one of their necessary roles but in this book, the author also gives the reader a glimpse of a loving, protective, nurturing Alpha. I loved the relationship between Bryn and Callum, of the way she constantly searched for ways to keep her independence from the pack while also showing respect for him. She had spunk and I immediately fell in love with her. She was smart, protective and followed her heart (which is a character trait I look for in my heroines) I have to tell you that of all the men in the story I loved Callum the most and he really appealed to my heart. He was proof that although you might not understand why the people you love make the choices they do, when looking at the big picture, they actually did have your best interest in mind. I recognized how difficult some of Callum's choices were and admire the strength it took him to do it when every instinct told him to protect. It was a really good story, well written and the only thing that threw me was that the author introduced an idea that I'd never thought of before. I'd always read and assumed that to be Alpha you had to actually be a wolf and so it took a little time to accept that there could be alternatives. The new idea added depth to the story and really made the book an amazing read. But that aside I LOVED this book and think it's an excellent addition to the great werewolf books out there.

Ratings: 4 stars and 1 heart

No comments: