What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Kitty Goes To War

Carrie Vaughan / Urban Fantasy

Kitty Norville, alpha werewolf and host of The Midnight Houri, a radio call-in show, is contacted by a friend at the NIH's Center for the Study of Paranatural Biology. Three army soldiers recently returned from the war in Afghanistan are being held at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. They're killer werewolves - and post traumatic stress has left them unable to control their shape-shifting and unable to interact with people. Kitty agrees to see them, hoping to help by bringing them into her pack. Meanwhile, Kitty is sued for libel by CEO Harold Franklin after featuring Speedy Mart - his nationwide chain of twenty-four-hour convenience stores with a reputation for attracting supernatural unpleasantness - on her show.  (click title to read more)



I'm a fan of Kitty Norville and this was a pretty good addition other ongoing series. I kinda guessed that it was pretty fitting for what is currently happening in the world and was interested to see that the author was one of the first (that I've seen) to introduce it into the world of their characters. I like any and every situation that Kitty finds herself in and love the fly by the seat of her pants way she lives her life. She is loyal and dedicated to her relationships and pack. She's a big believer in pack and I loved this adventure because she takes on helping werewolves that everyone else is ready to give up on and keep locked up for the rest of their lives. Kitty sees the best in people, is an optimist and saw these men as men worth fighting for. She makes a terrific Alpha. I loved Ben in this book (ok I love him in every book he's in) and I think he is the perfect Alpha/wolf/man to match Kitty. He helps balance her and I love watching how the affect each other. I love the image of Kitty turning to Ben for support and comfort and him having his wolf smell her and comfort her. There's that animal side that's incredibly sexy. I love how they reach for each other. Sigh .... what a great couple. The author included two stories within the one - helping the werewolves fresh from war and dealing with a CEO who has extremely shady and magical dealings. It's this second story that kind of had me going "Really?" because it introduces a new side to Cormac - the tough hunter now parolee. I gotta say though I'm a little iffy about what happens with him. In fact I'm a little disturbed. Cormac is a man's man, can't get more masculine than him and so what the author does to him just seems WRONG!! I guess it's part of her vision for the characters but honestly? Really? Just so wrong!! Other than that, this is classic Kitty and a definite read. If you haven't read the earlier books - read those as well :)
Ratings: 4 stars and 2 heart

No comments: