What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Dark Rising by Lacey Weatherford

The Dark Rising
Book 4 in Of Witches & Warlocks series
Lacey Weatherford
YA Paranormal Romance

When Portia Mullins discovers the love of her life is still alive her heart soars. But reality sets in immediately causing it to plummet when she realizes he doesn’t remember his past life with her. Unwilling to give up, she embarks on a loving quest to restore his life to him. Vance Mangum sees the beautiful girl claiming to be his wife, and while he can’t remember her, he can’t deny the intense pull he feels between them. Not knowing where else to turn, he agrees to give her the time she’s asked for and to assist her in the effort to recover his memories. The two quickly reconnect, but dark surprises are lurking in the wings when Vance discovers a desperate longing for something he feels he can’t withstand. Will he be able to resist? Or will evil raise its head in a new form, leaving Portia as the prey of the very man her heart desires? Darkness reigns supreme in this haunting tale of love and desperation, Of Witches and Warlocks, The Dark Rising.



Pre-Release Gush: (as found on Goodreads)

Out of all the books in this series, The Dark Rising is far my favorite because it raises my lust crush on Vance Mangum to EPIC proportions. I was devastated by the ending in book 3 and I couldn't wait to see where the author would take Vance and Portia next? Would they get to enjoy even a few moments of peace before all hell broke out again? This couple sizzles and I love the way their relationship had developed but watch out guys because this book will BLOW YOUR MIND with the twists. Vance is incredible and I've always wanted to see just how BAD this bad boy could be. Well I got my answer and my heart still hasn't recovered. I wished so hard to be Portia in this book, to be the object of Vance's cat and mouse play and you ladies are going to lose your ever lovin' minds . Think Damon but HOTTER *gasp did I just say that out aloud?* Hehehe I can't gush enough about this book and can't wait to see what everyone thinks. This is THE book to get this year. Go grab yourself the free coupon for book one while it lasts, read all 3 books to prepare yourself because you won't rest until every page of this book is devoured *takes deep breath* Can you tell I'm just a lil' excited? ROFL.. Oh and this isn't me review... just a little pre-review gush *grins

Post-Release Gush

You would think that I would have nothing more to say on the topic seeing my pre-gush summed it up so eloquently. I read, I swooned, I swooned even HARDER, I lost my mind and then I pledged my eternal love to Vance all over again! No matter how many times I read this book, just the mere  mention of it reduces me to tingles. It has nothing to do with watching its creation from the inside. It has EVERYTHING to do with the emotions it pulls out of you as the reader, and the rollercoaster ride you go on as you experience a read that doesn't come along every day. There is an amazing read... and then there is a phenomonal read... and then there is The Dark Rising. EPIC in all it's glory!

One thing that has always struck me as I've read this series, and been fortunate to get insights into the characters is just how fearless the author is. It's nice to play it safe, give the reader a little danger but keep the beloved characters in a good place and in one piece. One thing the author has always said is "What if?" What if the worst happened? What if Vance and Portia are tested in such a way they may never survive it? Does it make you want to cry just thinking about it? I know I did going into The Dark Rising. I wanted to reach in and wrap them both in cotton wool balls until all their hurts were better and it was rainbows and puppy dogs and everything cutesy. I have NEVER been so glad to be wrong! From the opening page, you can feel the tension, you can feel this sense of "something big" and when it explodes... HOLD ON TIGHT! This book drags you by the heart strings to the very end and just when you think WOOOOHOOO ... you get left with an ending that will have you hunting the author done for the next installment.

Portia and Vance are amazing. I absolutely LOVE the development of Portia. She's come along way from the 16 year old teenager that was given the "Surprise you're a witch!" She is the epitome of loyalty and everything you want in the person you love. I love that she fights for her relationship with Vance, that even as her world crumbles, she doesn't whimper and cower - she stands up and does all that she can. She risks everything and nothing is ever enough! She's part of why the romance in this book steals your heart.

Hahahaha Vance. What more can I say about him? I know everyone loves a bad boy and I'm definitely an addict but when you turn a bad boy evil - it's a constant swoon! There were scenes in this book so seductive, so intense that I literally stopped breathing and my body broke out in tingles. I love the possessiveness about him, the way he can't get enough of Portia and I'm telling you - you NEED to experience one of his kisses. They are SEARING! I can't wait to see where Vance goes next because he secured his place at the top of my Lust List!

I think you all get the idea and I'm hoping your next stop is to go grab yourself a copy of the book. This is a guaranteed AMAZING read! The entire series is incredible and this is by far my FAVORITE of the four books released. If you love epic love stories, fights between good and evil... if you love danger, magic and an emotional read from beginning to end.... if you love bad boys gone wild, heroines who fight with everything they have... THIS is the book for you. Happy reading!

Rating:



No comments: