What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Friday, July 29, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

The Iron King
Book #1 in The Iron Fey series
Julie Kagawa
Young Adult Fantasy / Romance

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.




This is going to be one of those reviews that begins with a colossal head smack against my keyboard - WHY OH WHY did it take me so long to read this? I've been eyeing this entire series since I began blogging. Every time I saw a teaser, post or comment, I'd remind myself "I need to read this, they say Prince Ash is to die for!" Like the ADHD reader I am, I then get distracted by another cover, another blurb and I forget. Thank goodness for Facebook because it gave me the kick in the pants I needed. I'm completely HOOKED!

I really enjoyed this book. It was one where I had to put down a few times to run errands but it had me constantly reaching for my Kindle for the next fix. I would sit and read, coming across parts that either had me laughing out loud (seriously, who can keep a straight face when Prince Ash threatens to put someones testicles in a jar), sobbing and sighing as TWO characters vied for my attention. Yep, bless Julie Kagawa's writing heart - she provides two VERy swoonworthy male characters that had me in constant knots because I couldn't decide who I loved more - Puck or Ash.

I loved how fast paced everything was about the story and how convincing the Nevernever was. It kept me entertained and I appreciated the variety of creatures Meaghan found there. It showed that the author put great effort in creating a story that stimulated the reader and I loved how it all unfolded in my mind. It really boosted my fascination with the Fey, between the Summer and Winter Court. It has me eager to continue reading the series because I want to know more.

Meaghan... poor Meaghan. I was a little shocked at first by just how pathetic her life was. What a poor girl! Thank goodness for Robbie, the only bright spot in her life and Ethan, her little brother. I honestly don't know how she survived with parents who bordered neglectful at times and school peers who were horrible. I love the opening line of the blurb about her having a secret destiny. While it doesn't make how her life has unfolded right, it definitely gives her a chance to grasp hold of a purpose. She's destined for greater things and it helped having it explained later in the book why everyone was so indifferent towards her.

Okay... MAJOR squee and kudos to the author for creating to heart stopping males characters. I absolutely adored Ash and Puck. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED!  I won't lie, I realize I should've been turned off a little by Ash and how "cold" he appeared at first but nothing revs my engine more than a completely flawed and tortured character. There is SO much more than what you see with Ash and he was simply delicious. He took "bad boy" to a different level where I want to say that he bordered cruel at times, but my heart would stop and melt each time he showed a moment of vulnerability. So much tension, so much conflict. It had me racing through the book, craving more and more.

I could go on and on but The Iron Daughter is calling me from my Kindle. I'd recommend this to all readers - fantasy lovers, YA lovers, romance lovers, delicious tortured bad boy  lovers. Okay, gotta go.... happy reading!

Rating:

No comments: