What Kind Of Review Can You Expect?


If I could describe what kind of reader I am, I would hands down say I was an emotional one. When I read I want to fully experience the book, from the emotions coursing through the characters to reacting to the twist and turns of the storyline. I'm looking for those books that fire up my imagination and leave me breathless when it's over. It's for this reason why the reviews I write aren't so much what I think and are more on how I feel. My hopes in sharing my review in this way is that something will spark an interest and have you wanting to have the same experiences. This isn't to say I don't have issues with grammar, word choices etc. Trust me I do and most times all it takes is waiting for the story to grab hold for it not to matter. When I do include things about what I thought about the book (for example I've included comments about word choices and being too descriptive), I only do so because it directly affected how I felt. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer's Crossing byJulie Kagawa

Summer's Crossing
Novella #3.5 in The Iron Fey series
Julie Kagawa
YA Fantasy / Romance

A Midsummer's Nightmare? Robin Goodfellow. Puck. Summer Court prankster, King Oberon's right hand, bane of many a faery queen's existence—and secret friend to Prince Ash of the Winter Court. Until one girl's death came between them, and another girl stole both their hearts.

Now Ash has granted one favor too many and someone's come to collect, forcing the prince to a place he cannot go without Puck's help—into the heart of the Summer Court. And Puck faces the ultimate choice—betray Ash and possibly win the girl they both love, or help his former friend turned bitter enemy pull off a deception that no true faery prankster could possibly resist.



This was perfect! I needed something Ash-ish to tide me over while I wait to read The Iron Knight and this definitely hit the spot. I've had a complete Iron Fey Fest the last few days, devouring the books and was excited to see this available. Not as excited as I was when I saw this was in Puck's point of view! Holy snap! I have LOVED reading the snarkiness and humor Puck has shown in the previous book so I couldn't wait to dive into his mind and see the world through his eyes. What a blast!

I loved that the author picked up a moment from The Iron Queen and used it as the plot line for this short novella. Prince Ash had made a promise -  a favor and that person called it in, sending Ash into extreme danger to honor it. Puck, darling Puck, the not quite friend/not quite enemy volunteers to go along because he truly is the only one that can help. He's daring and a complete prankster and I loved watching these two mighty characters banter off each other. I did wonder what it would be like without Meghan there to act the buffer and add that tension but I really enjoyed the story.

I read most of the story in the tub (completely paranoid my Kindle would take a nose dive) and almost drowned myself when Oberon showed up and spoke with Puck. A guy can only take so much and no matter how "honorable" you try to be, the heart wants what it wants. Oberon gives a suggestion to Puck that part of me was screaming "Do it!! Win the girl!" and the other "You rat fink! Don't you dare!" I could just imagine how much conflict it created in Puck. Everything he's ever wanted, right there for the taking if he has the courage, or should I say the cowardice, to act! I waited in BAITED breath to see what Puck would decide and was so tempted to throw my Kindle across the room as it finally revealed itself. I began chanting "It's all a prank, it's part of the plan" just so I didn't burst into tears. Yep, I'm one of "those" kind of readers that gets totally involved in the story which is a great sign of how awesome Julie Kagawa is!

This is an amazing addition to the series and one I'd wholeheartedly recommend. I've seen some authors who have their main books and release smaller stories to branch between and I've been so disappointed because they are nothing more than fluff fillers. There is no fluff in Summer's Crossing. It's a fun read, completely relevant and a great way to see more of beloved characters. Grab yourself a copy while it's free! Happy reading!

Ratings:

No comments: